Sunday, February 8, 2009

I think I'm going to love these train rides.


I'm back from Germany!

With the amount of traveling we'll do on the weekends, I am pretty much guaranteed a few hours for reading and journaling which is something I'm very excited about. On the train from Berlin to Cologne on Saturday, I took some time to journal everything I've been feeling over the past few weeks. I came to some really groundbreaking realizations about my life and my purpose, as cliche as that may sound. People aren't kidding when they say you'll change as a person just by being on this trip... I'm starting to feel God at work already.

On this specific leg of our journey, I was listening to "In You" by MercyMe on my iPod. I love when I can listen to a song I've heard a hundred times, and for some reason a certain lyric just pops out at me. The second verse starts with "it's no secret that we don't belong here, we're set apart by the grace of you." Hearing that made me think of how alienated and uncomfortable traveling can be.

I absolutely love seeing new places and experiencing new cultures, but there are undoubtedly times when I feel like I don't belong. Like the song says, we are "set apart" by the grace of God. As a student galavanting through Europe, what sets me apart from the crowd? Is it the massive backpack I carry, or the Nikon D50 hanging around my neck? Or is it my obvious American accent and my enthusiasm for finding the nearest Starbucks? When we met as a group before coming to Europe, Maxey gave us tips on how to blend in and not stand out as a tourist. Well, I'm finding it difficult to be something I'm not. Try as I may, there is no hiding my differences.

I have my moments where I think, "this is totally me, I could move here tomorrow," but I still start to miss everything about home. It's easy to feel awkward and uncomfortable. During this time abroad, this once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm getting to see the world. There are so many beautiful sights and fascinating cultures. But as amazing as this experience is, a little part of me anticipates returning to Texas.

So I got to thinking - how much more should I feel not of this world? The Bible tells us that this world is not our home and that we should live for the day when we finally meet Jesus face to face, but how many times do I read that and think, "but I love my life here!" I love my family and friends, Baylor, Austin, photography, dancing, music, movies, good food, shopping... so many things in the world have my heart.

What a beautiful reminder! This world is not my home! I live for the day of the ultimate homecoming, the day when Heaven is finally a reality. I want to stand out, I don't want to get lost in the monotony of life or the ways of this world. I can't get too comfortable, and this living-on-the-edge experience is definitely the chance to learn infinitely more about myself, my faith, and my God.


This weekend was amazing and I have so much to write about. I'll take on the task in the morning, for tonight this little traveler needs her sleep!


"I put my hope in you, I lay my life in the palm of your hand. I'm constantly drawn to you, Lord, in ways I cannot comprehend."
In You, by MercyMe


No comments:

Post a Comment