I love celebrating holidays, so I guess I really can't say that I have a favorite. But I LOVE Independence Day and everything that comes with it! Patriotic decor, watermelon and cookouts, soaking up some sun at the closest lake or pool... it just feels like summer.
There was only one thing missing this year, and that was fireworks. Austin, like much of Texas, is under a burn ban because of the drought. I've become so accustomed to the hustle and bustle of firework sales around my neighborhood over the years that it almost didn't seem like the 4th of July this year. For the past few years, our street has gotten a permit to close off traffic and have a mock firework competition between houses. But as weird as it felt with this small missing element, it helped me remember that holidays are more than just the traditions. They're about the people you're with and the memories you make. And there were tons of memories made this week!
After surviving the first session of grad school, Thomas was more than ready for a mini-summer break. We spent Saturday and Sunday in Waco since he had to work on his "take home" final exams. It was nice to have a lazy weekend after traveling so often, so we lounged around my house, ventured out to run errands, cooked, and watched movies. Even though I've been doing a whole lotta' nothin' since graduation, it was more enjoyable to do nothing with Thomas by my side.
On Monday, Thomas and I went to Austin to celebrate the 4th of July with my family. Our first stop was the outlet mall (duh), where we were quite successful in finding some bargains. My aunt and uncle had everyone over for dinner that night, and we had a great time catching up with my cousins, their spouses and kids & canines.
Tuesday morning, we met up with Mallory for breakfast at Round Rock Donuts and then went to explore Inner Space Cavern with Alex. After the walking tour through the cave, we grabbed lunch, got dessert at Bananarchy, and then went swimming at Barton Springs Pool.
Definitely check this place out if you find yourself south of the river on Lamar!
Frozen banana with dark chocolate and coconut. Heavenly.
This natural springs pool is a frigid 68 degrees, a welcome break from the Texas heat!
We had such a wonderful time in Austin, which gets me even more excited about moving here someday in the near future!!
No comments:
Post a Comment