Saturday, July 16, 2011

An Ode to Austin


This post is devoted entirely to my hometown, the city I adore, and the place where the next chapter of my life begins. As I pack my things in Waco and prepare to make the move on Monday, I can't help but think about all of the many (and there are many!) reasons that I love Austin, Texas.

Lucky for me, Austin was named #1 Best City for Jobs by Forbes Magazine, and Kiplinger.com named it "Best City for Young People Starting Careers." Employment: check.

Famous Austinites include Sandra Bullock (who owns a restaurant down the street from where I'll be working), Matthew McConaughey, Lance Armstrong, Willie Nelson, and Andy Roddick, just to name a few.

Austin was named after Stephen F. Austin, the "father of Texas," and it's the happenin' Capitol of the Lone Star State. Did you know that the dome of the Capitol building stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, DC?

In the past few years, Austin has been named 10th Healthiest City in America, one of the Top 5 Places to Live in America, one of the Top Ten Greenest Cities in the Country, and the 2nd Best City in America to Take a Stroll. Ready to move here yet?

And ohhhh, the food. Austin is home to the original Chuy's restaurant, the best darn Tex-Mex I've ever had. Other food favorites of mine include Kerby Lane, The Oasis, Hut's Hamburgers, Trudy's, Z Tejas, Magnolia Cafe, Amy's Ice Cream, Chez Zee, Hey Cupcake! and Bananarchy.

There's never a dull moment in Austin. Concerts, SXSW Film and Music Festival, Austin City Limits, Zilker Summer Hillside Musicals, the Pecan Street Festival... your social calendar will take care of itself.

Austin is an exciting, vibrant city. The culture is young and laid back, and "weirdness is a way of life."

Downtown skyline, on the banks of Lady Bird Lake. Can't believe I'll be working downtown!

Austin is one of the most dog-friendly cities you'll ever visit. Cannot wait until we add a dog to our family after we get married!

Austin is the "Live Music Capitol of the World." Enough said.

Where else can you see peacocks in a neighborhood park? This was taken at Mayfield Park last summer - in fact, all these photos were taken last summer. Dad and I find any opportunity to go out and photograph our pretty city. :)

So many memories made in Austin already with many more to come. I feel lucky to be returning to my roots. Austin, I'm coming home!

2 comments:

  1. SO exciting! Congrats on the job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the city of Austin sound like the best place in the world. Im so glad you are moving back, Congrats on the job! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete